Starting a Business

Starting a business can be a challenging experience. In order to facilitate this process, the Small Business Administration lists 10 steps for starting a business. If you have questions regarding the creation of a business, the Economic Development Department recommends contacting the University of Houston Fort Bend Small Business Development Center (SBDC) for counseling, assistance with planning, and financing. They offer training in several areas to help you succeed. Their services are free of charge, except for small fees on some workshops.

Provided is a Start-Up Guide along with links to the agencies you need to contact in order to start a business in or near Rosenberg. If you are expanding an existing business, please contact the Fort Bend SBDC directly at 281-499-9787.

Startup Guide

The most important things to remember when starting a business are: know your abilities, create a good plan, and gather adequate resources. For help with these call the UH SBDC directly at 281-341-5027. If you have all this already, then take the following steps and start implementing your plan. Good Luck! See the SBDC Workshop Schedule for more assistance as you progress!

  1. Register a name for the business. Call the Fort Bend County Clerk's office and ask for a DBA certificate ("Doing Business As"). That number is 281-342-3411 or you can read more on the DBA website.
  2. Get a sales tax permit. Go to the website for the Texas State Comptroller's Office. Or call 800-252-5555 and tell them about your business, they will tell you requirements for a sales tax permit or give you location directions to come in to speak with them in person.
  3. Get a Federal Tax ID. This is done by filing form SS-4. If you will be paying wages to one or more employees you will be issued an EIN or Employer Identification Number. If you are a sole proprietor with no employees simply use your social security number on the SS-4. The form is available online at the IRS website and by phone at 800-772-1213.
  4. If you have equipment and assets, then file a form with the Fort Bend County Appraisal District. This is called a Rendition Form. If your business assets are more than $500 then fill out the form and send it in. Call them at 281-344-8623 to get the correct form.

Obtain Permits & Inspections

You will also need to contact the City of Rosenberg in order to obtain necessary permits and inspections:

  • Planning Department
    Phone: 832-595-3511
    The Planning Department is committed to assisting developers, property owners, citizens, and business owners in developing and building quality developments in the City of Rosenberg.
  • Building Inspections and Permits
    Phone: 832-595-3507
    The office of Building Inspections and Permits inspects construction plans to ensure they meet city codes and also issues the permits associated with the construction or renovation of a building.